Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Opposition To Closing 4th Street

Aaron Weissman went on the record concerning the possible closing of 4th Street. He read this at last night's City Commission meeting:

Dear Honorable Commissioners;

I write today to discuss the proposed reconfiguration or closure of 4th Street, between the County Courthouse and the County Annex. I have given the matter some thought, and I do not believe it to be in the best interests of our community for this street to be closed.

Too many streets in the Lower North Side are already closed or configured in such a way to make smooth travel difficult. 1st and 2nd Avenues North are a one way couplet, as are 5th and 6th Streets. 3rd Street is closed between Central and 1st Avenue North. I submit to you that the portion of 4th Street that you have proposed closing or reconfiguring is necessary for entrance and egress into the residential sections of the extreme Western portion of the Lower North side.

I recognize that some accommodation needs to be reached in order to equalize the value of the land being transferred on the West side. In addition, I think it obvious that more parking needs to be made available to the County in order to satisfy its requirements. I would like to propose a potential solution.

The First Avenue North Parking Garage is near the County’s lower North side “campus.” Ample parking is available within. I suggest to you that the city should transfer ownership or very long term leases of parking spaces in that garage that equal the amount of difference in the values of property being traded. While I cannot calculate the value of a parking space, I am sure that experts in the employ of both the city and the county could agree upon a valuation.

Such a solution would leave 4th Street as-is, give the County fair value for its land swap, fill the City’s parking garage and potentially solve the County’s parking problem. I hope that you will consider this solution.

Sincerely,
Aaron Weissman

2 comments:

david said...

Great idea -- hope the commissioners take this advice. Thanks Aaron!

Rich Liebert said...

Right on target Aaron. I want
to also see the county's detailed
plan regarding this street closure
proposal and more. This could
be a 'win/win' outcome perhaps as
you suggest.