Thursday, February 7, 2008

Consent Agenda

Something I have always wondered about has been the expenditures reported as part of the consent agenda. When the City Commissioners vote on these expenditures, is the vote only a formality because the monies have already been disbursed?

Yes, according to Commissioner Jolley, and she verified what I was thinking: There are NO checks and balances in the Fiscal Service Department.

So this 750,000+ payment to SME was already disbursed before the vote was taken Tuesday night. I asked her what would have happened had there been a minor miracle and the majority of the commissioners had voted NOT to release the funds? She did not know, but didn't think SME would give it back. I bet not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it even LEGAL for them to move money BEFORE a vote? I have my doubts on that. Mabey that is another thing that should be checked into. It seems to me they know that mabey someone might say no, so they do it before hand so they wont have to worry about it.

GeeGuy said...

Maybe.

Anonymous said...

If the general public was aware of all money being floated around there would be some cosequences to these objectionable tactics.