Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Life Goes On

It's over. Thank goodness. Could the results have been better? Oh yeah.

But there was one bright spot for me on the editorial page this morning. And since letters to the editor are not posted online, here goes:

This morning at breakfast, my second-grade son recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

It reminded me that I renewed that vow last week at a political party dinner.

I am generally suspicious of vows and pledges spoken in unison in large crowds. Why, then, do I eagerly remove my hat and speak those words when the flag of the United States of American is presented?

Why do my eyes get watery? Was I indoctrinated growing up as a grade-schooler, Boy Scout, at football games, at rodeos? Is that bad?

The word indoctrination sounds bad.

It is often used to describe the beliefs of the opposition. Certainly the doctrine of this country as I have learned it through these years is good.

Reading the letters on this page morning after morning, I wonder, "What is the doctrine of "the republic for which it stands?"

Are we still "one nation under God" Or have we become primarily Democrats and Republicans, Christians and non-Christians, us and them?

The greatest threat to our country is not terrorism, climate change, nuclear proliferation or the banking collapse. It is loss of unity. Unity is not: destruction of the opposition, defeat of free exchange of ideas, restriction of religious beliefs, racism or sexism. It is a paradox: individuals of differing beliefs joining together to perpetuate a nation "indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".

Folks, turn off the TV, say the pledge, vote, shovel your neighbor's walk, change by example, not force. Enjoy America. Believe in her promises.


Peter Jennings,
Great Falls

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unity is paramount. Great Lincoln quote!