Friday, February 6, 2009

Light Pollution

Below is a letter Aaron Weissman of Neighborhood Council 7 wrote evidently in reply to somebody concerned about the proposed lighting at Gibson Park:

Ms. Hill;

I have recently been sent a copy of your newsletter. I read it with interest, particularly the article "More about Light Pollution." I write today in the hope that this email can be considered for submission into your next publication.

I agree with you that dark skies are a resource that we need to protect. I am an amateur astronomy buff (my wife says geek, but I digress), and part of the reason that I love living is Great Falls is our big, dark sky with brilliant views of the stars.

I also strongly believe that we need to provide better protection to our citizens by lighting Gibson Park. In addition to criminal and violent activity that is just too regular there, the condition of the running path constitutes a severe tripping hazard in low-light conditions, such as dusk and dawn when many citizens use the park to jog or walk their dogs.

I also note the recent vandalism that has befallen Vinegar Jones cabin. Twice this Winter, the windows in the structure have been violently destroyed at night. Right now, the windows are boarded up. Our Historical Society can not continue to bear those costs, and our citizens deserve better.

I have not mentioned other violent acts that have been know to occur in the Park at night. However, they do occur and we need to take steps -- such as lighting -- that will decrease crime and make the park visible to police drive-by patrols.

I suggest to you that protecting our dark skies as a resource and lighting Gibson Park are far from incompatible goals. Even the "period" lights mentioned in our article can be fitted with an internal metal cap that will direct all generated light downward. There is no utility (and too much waste) in directing expensive electric light into the sky; we need it on the ground. I also hope that sometime in the future, these lights can be retro-fitted to solar generation.

There is no reason for dispute or controversy; let's all work together to install smart lighting into Gibson Park.

Thank you for your time,

Aaron Weissman,
Chairman Council 7

No comments: