Thursday, February 7, 2008

Great Falls, We Have Another Problem

I thought when I saw this payment to SME for December power that it was out of the ordinary. That's why I asked "for how many months?" I do a pretty good job of looking at the agenda and expenditure report for each City Commission meeting and I don't recall ever seeing a single payment to SME for that kind of money.

According to a quote in today's Tribune, Coleen Balzarini indicated "The bill for the bulk of the power usually comes at the beginning of the month and is typically about $700,000".

OK. So what happened to the payment to SME for November's power? I checked the agendas and expenditure reports from October 2007 through January 2008 and guess what? Nothing. There was no mention of payment for any initial power usage for any month during this time.

I haven't had a chance to review prior months, but I have a feeling the result will be the same.

So, did the November power bill get paid? If it did, it was done without being brought before the Commission and public. Assuming the payment was made, can it be legal/binding since it was not voted upon?

If I've missed something here, please let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to know that also. I will be checking back here to see if you have any new info. I will also be going into the online records for the work sessions and checking those agendas. Love your blog..keep it up.

Sandra Guynn said...

Thank you anonymous for the kind words. You can be sure that if I find out more, I'll let everyone know.

It's my understanding from Commissioner Jolley that the City has not been keeping minutes of the work sessions for several years. That is supposed to change.

Sandra Guynn said...

To clarify,

In the above comment, the City has not been keeping minutes of the AGENDA sessions for several years.